- Platinum Plus North Tour Platinum Plus South Tour Castle Tour & more »
- Classic London Tour London to Scotland Return Tour Royal London Tour & more »
- History Tours Literature and Movie Tours Garden Tours Sports Tours
- London Tours Cotswolds Tours North and Central South
- Platinum Plus North Tour Platinum Plus South Tour Royal Tour & more »
- JRR Tolkien comes to life with our Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Tour of Middle Earth
- Landscape offers beautiful clues to the history of England
- Olympics heralds opening of new London attractions
- Great British food and drink festivals
- The Beatles and North West England Tours
- The Building of The Shard
- Things to see & do in England this Summer
- The History & Culture of England
- Our Guide To The Queen & Her Diamond Jubilee
- Events for England Tours in 2012
Classic England Latest News
The History & Culture of England
Thursday, April 12, 2012
England today, is a small island with a small population, home to around 52 million people. However, over the centuries, England has been one of the most influential countries on the world stage, from arts and literature to history and politics.
Throughout England there are magnificent monuments to the past and present from the incomparable pre-historic megaliths of Stonehenge, to the modern art at the galleries of London.
One of England’s most iconic monuments are it’s castles. From the beginning of time, man has fortified his homestead. In early times, earthworks were built around the highest point to oversee any possible danger. As time went by, these earthworks grew into stone forts and eventually into magnificent castles dominating the landscapes. As political tensions eased, these castles were turned into opulent stately homes crammed full with art and fine furniture. You can visit some of England’s outstanding castles with one of our castle tours.
Landscapes too, have been influential. After taking ideas from the near continent in the 14th and 15th centuries, garden design and gardening grew into a national passion with a eclectic range of gardens from vast rolling landscapes to city centre parks. One of the most prominent gardeners of the early age was Capability Brown – known as Capability for famously saying that, whilst designing a garden, it has capabilities. Then, over the next few hundred years as the country grew rich through overseas trade, many designers grew famous. These included Vita Sackville West at Sissinghurst, Lawrence Johnson at Hidcote Manor and Gertrude Jekyll for many commissions around England. Take a tour through the garden history of England with our garden tours.
With a growing worldwide Empire from the 16th century onwards, the political system in England was exported throughout the globe. From the Magna Carta giving citizens many new rights as far back as the 13th century to the Civil Service in the 19th century, the democratic process which evolved in England can be seen in the four corners of the planet. Why not see how democracy was created in England with a guided tour of the Houses of Parliament as part of any of our London tours.
The English language is often regarded as England’s most enduring legacy. From Shakespeare, Jane Austen and J.K. Rowling, English Authors have produced some of the most outstanding works of literature. With our literature tours, you can visit and tour some of the places your favourite author knew and the movie sets from many of the films made in England, including our Harry Potter tour of the movie locations. 2012 is the 200th anniversary of Charles Dickens birth and we have created some new trails and tours.
So there are certainly lots of things to see and do in England this year!So there are certainly lots of things to see and do in England this year!
- Highlights of Southern England Tour Kent - Key to England Tour Kent - Garden of England Tour